(c) 2019 Council for the Spanish Speaking, Inc./Centro Hispano Milwaukee. All rights reserved. 614 W. National Avenue, Milwaukee, WI 53204

Sister Patricia Ann at Guadalupe Head Start - South

La Villa Senior Living Facility

Housing Resident at El Jardin II

History

 

2010's

  • Former Loyola Acadamy campus was renamed in honor of Dr. Filiberto Murguia. The facility located on 1645 S. 36th Street is now known as Dr. Filiberto & Carmen Murguia Campus. 

  • The organization became a grantee of Early Head Start and Head Start. The Early Education component of the organization has increased by parent involvement, dual language, cultural activites and performance. 

  • Centro Hispano high school (Loyola Academy high school) closed its doors after serving Milwaukee for over 25 years.

  • The efforts of the agenices programs have lead to engage more Latinos in civic engagement and in advocating social justice and policy changes.

2000's



  • As the first site in the district to participate in the VITA Program, the Council received a special award from the Internal Revenue Service Center.  

  • Hispanic Business Magazine named Centro Hispano one of the top 25 non-profit organizations in the nation serving Hispanics.

  • Construction completed on La Villa, an 8 unit housing complex for the elderly.

  • Fifteen of the 27 seniors graduating from Loyola Academy entered college.

  • Guadalupe Head Start was named a "Center of Excellence" by the State of Wisconsin.

  • The new Infant and Toddler Center at Loyola began operation.

  • In 2003, Dr. Filiberto Murguía retired after 33 years of service to the Centro.

  • The Board of Directors selected Ms. Rosa Domínguez as the new President/CEO.

  • El Centro received a grant from the National Council of La Raza to transform Loyola Academy High School into an "early college bilingual high school" where students are able to earn college credit while getting their high school diploma.

  • In 2004, Hispanic Business Magazine once again named Centro Hispano as one of the top 25 non-profit organizations in the United States serving Hispanics.

  • The Senior Employment and Training Program began with the Centro as the sponsoring agency.

  • In July 2006, the Board of Directors recruited Dr. Luis "Tony" Báez as the new President/CEO.

1990's



  • The Centro began to co-sponsor Cantos de Las Americas, a multicultural concert preformed by Milwaukee Public School children and Education-A Family Affair, a banquet honoring parents of outstanding students.

  • The Centro purchased the former St. Ignatius of Loyola church and grounds.

  • Sponsored by MPS, Loyola Academy High School began serving 30 at risk youth.      

  • Sixteen unit Casa Catalina, 3640 W. Mitchell, was constructed.

  • Guadalupe Head Start enrollment increased to 563 children.

1980's



  • El Jardin I at 920 W. Madison and El Jardin II at 1504 S. 6th St. were constructed.

  • La Paz Apartments, 1313 S. 6th St., was constructed.

  • The Centro received accreditation to provide immigration assistance to the community.

  • Guadalupe Head Start expanded services to the north and west sides of Milwaukee.

  • The Centro’s video, Niños Aprendan a Cuidarse! received MATA award: “Outstanding Cultural Programming for 1986”.

  • Centro staff produced one of the first videos to address the issue of date rape.

1970's



  • John Maurice retired and Carlos Sevilla was named president.

  • Thanksgiving food drive and distribution began.

  • The Centro began co-sponsoring the Mexican Independence Day Parade and Fiesta.

  • The IRS designated the Centro as a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Site.

  • Filiberto Murguía became the new executive director.

  • The Centro became the first Latino agency to receive United Way funds.

  • The Zonta Club of Milwaukee donated the building at 614 W. National Avenue.

  • With a loan from the Department of Housing and Urban Development, the Centro opened Santa Cruz Apartments for the elderly and disabled at 3029 W. Wells.

1960's


The Archdiocese of Milwaukee gave John Maurice $6,000 to open a center to specifically serve the Latino population.  El Centro Hispano Americano became the first non-profit organization in Milwaukee to serve Latinos.  After incorporation in 1964, the organization’s official name became Council for the Spanish Speaking, Inc. The organization was located at 524 W. National Avenue where it remained until 1977.



  • The Adult Basic Education Project began in December 1966. 

  • The Guadalupe Head Start program began in 1965.

  • El Centro Credit Union was established.